So I haven’t posted here in a while but this is a bit of a celebration as I have been building this for 5 years.
I purchased this from eBay as a built model and it arrived worse than I could imagine, it was a complete glue bomb, the body had been brush painted with the thickest enamel I have ever seen, the interior and whole drivetrain was painted thick black.
I broke it all apart and put the body and interior in brake fluid for about 6 months! And it still didn’t shift anything!
Discouraged I put it back in the box for about 2 years until I discovered dettol, 24 hours later I had a clean body.
I had to paint the engine and interior around the decals but they turned out ok I think.
Apologies in advance as this is pretty pic heavy
Post finished models here. Polite and constructive comments please.
4 posts • Page 1 of 1
It’s very simple, fill a lunchbox or sealable container with the original Dettol and submerge the model or parts in it for as long as necessary (usually no more than 24 hours) then use a toothbrush to scrub off. Its unbelievable how much better it is than anything else, the paint wrinkles and brushes off and the best part is it comes out of all the panel lines really easily.stephen8718 wrote:nice save that turned out really well. what process using the dettol did you use to strip the enamel paints as i have a few old kits i would like to resurrect again and paint using my airbrush
It then just needs to be rinsed really well and your good to go.
I use it to strip chrome as well and it only takes a couple of hours.
I’ve stripped 3 or 4 models and lots of chrome on the same Dettol and it is still very strong and I’ve never had an issue with paint reacting