New Kits.

"Target" Talk.
jaydee

Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:21 pm

Two new kits on the market and I reckon that they can be described as state of the art.
The 1/72 military vehicle scene is going through a bit of a renaissance and the standard is rising with every new release.

Ammo has just released a T-54 B tank. This and the T-55 were produced between 1946 and 1983 with between 86,000 and 100,000 being built. Still in widespread use today.

This kit is incredibly detailed with grab handles that are in scale for instance. Getting them off the sprue in one piece may be a challenge but there will be no need for the usual wire bending replacements. A small amount of etch is included and also copper wire cable. A 36 page booklet is provided that has the assembly instructions but also detailed photographs of the vehicle. Colour plates are included for 11 different vehicles.

The second kit is by Galaxy Hobby. A M1124 Maxxpro. One of the new breed of mine protected vehicles evolved from the Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts. I.E.D.s being the most potent threat there.

Amazing detail throughout. The clear plastic windows are an excellent reproduction of ballisic glass. Basically it looks similar to glass bricks. A first class amount of etch is provided and an amazingly printed decal sheet. Sagged rubber tyres are supplied with an authentic thread pattern. My only issue is with the instructions, more complex than needed and a bit on the small side.

Wayne E

Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:09 pm

Nice one Jim, good work and thanks for taking the time for a nice in-box review.
Georgeconna

Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:00 pm

jesus 20 quid for a Matchbox sized T-54 tank. Never thought I'd see the day they would go over a Tennor.

TBH in this day and age there's probably 100's of pics of these yokes on the net and a 30 odd page booklet seems a bit daft, It could of been provide on his website to cut down waste too. My 2$ worth but as usual Mr D will kills these kits dead....
Cheers

George
jaydee

Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:08 pm

Thanks for the response lads. I suppose they're above the average price but it's the detailing and extras. Some
manufacturers have started including etch and the sagged tyres for instance. Up to recently if you wanted these
extras you'd have to get them from the likes of Aber, Eduard etc. and at some expense. The after market thing is gone daft
at this stage. The etch sets and replacement resin parts are out almost before a kit is released. I've seen the resin
sagged tyres for other kits and you'd be shelling out well over a fiver to get them, more if you have to add postage.
vw8243

Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:57 am

Jim
Is this a T54 hiding ?
jaydee

Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:21 am

Did they ever lose one ? A kind of where did we park the tank sort of thing. Great photo. :DX
Georgeconna

Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:49 pm

jaydee wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:08 pm
Thanks for the response lads. I suppose they're above the average price but it's the detailing and extras. Some
manufacturers have started including etch and the sagged tyres for instance. Up to recently if you wanted these
extras you'd have to get them from the likes of Aber, Eduard etc. and at some expense. The after market thing is gone daft
at this stage. The etch sets and replacement resin parts are out almost before a kit is released. I've seen the resin
sagged tyres for other kits and you'd be shelling out well over a fiver to get them, more if you have to add postage.
I sometimes wonder is there a bit of collusion betweens these afermarket lads and the Main stream model makers, Ill all fairness some correction sets for aeroplane I would be scratching me head.

Thanksfully in Camden no one pointed out my Tornado Fins were not the right shape and the back seat cockpit layout was wrong. Glad Really cause it would of cost be a packet for the add ons. With massive loads of data out there these days and improvments in Moulding its amazing 'how they ge things wrong'

Can you get scale moss for that one Leo?
Cheers

George

Return to “AFV Modelling Chat”